The Newman Catholic Students’ Society (NCSS) is the Catholic student community of McGill University. We were founded in 2000 as a club under the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU), but the history of the McGill Catholic students community dates back to 1897.
Based out of the Newman Centre of McGill University, we seek to make our Christian faith alive through social activities and community life, faith formation and spiritual enrichment, charitable outreach and service, and a strong sense of friendship and fellowship among our members.
We offer regular SNS open to all members of the McGill community, weekly social activities and semesterly coffeehouses, small group faith studies for students to learn more about the Catholic faith in a welcoming environment, organized prayer and other devotional activities, our annual Newman Ball and Christ is Coming Dinner, service projects for the benefit of the Montreal community and beyond, and many other activities. We also enthusiastically collaborate with our brothers and sisters in other Christian and religious groups on campus to unite in prayer and work together for the common good.
Finally and most importantly, we offer a home away from home, where any student – regardless of their religious affiliation – can stop by for lunch, tea, study, or just to hang out and take a break from the busy life of a student in a warm, comfy, and communal atmosphere.
So please come, check us out, and become a part of the Newman family! We’d love to have you.
The Newman Catholic Students’ Society is the Catholic student community of McGill University. Through our vibrant spiritual and social life we seek to grow in the love of Jesus and spread the joy of his Gospel to the McGill campus and beyond in a spirit of service, fellowship, and friendship. Inspired by the legacy of Saint John Henry Newman, we strive to provide a point of intersection between our lives as students and our lives as Christian disciples.
Our mandate calls us to collaborate with the Newman Centre to:
- Unite Catholic students across McGill University,
- Foster the spiritual growth and faith formation of our members, especially through the traditions,
- Promote a living encounter with Jesus Christ through an enriching experience of authentic Catholic community,
- Reach out to our brothers and sisters in need through charitable outreach, partnerships, and service projects,
- Proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ by our lives as students, our personal love of neighbour, and common witness,
- Provide a life-giving, hospitable home that embraces all students in collaboration with the Newman Centre of McGill University,
- Stand in solidarity with our fellow Christians and people of all faith traditions on the McGill campus through fellowship, collaboration, and communal prayer, and
- Remain faithful to the traditions and Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church.